|Edit Article
A VIEW AT
NIGERIA’S PROBLEM SOURCE
Last week, I
sat in my GCE exam hall and watched in amazement as some special cabals—who
have paid for “the expo written in paper”—were called to the back of the hall.
I mean, candidates are supposed to sit according to their examination number,
so why would some candidates with examination numbers wide apart like the
height of an Iroko tree be called to sit together?
As a Nigerian
who studied and wrote exams—especially WAEC—in Nigeria, you understand what
that means. To plainly put it, they were being given answers. No, scratch that.
They were being given answers and tutored on how to write it down.
One thing I
noticed among we remaining candidates was that there were chatters, whispers,
and who knows, exchange of the same paper the cabals at the back were given.
One invigilator even came to a candidate, collected his question paper, and
gave him another one, obviously with answers in it. He left saying something
like, “When they call your number again, you answer.”
What?
Someone just told a candidate to wait for answers and grab it as if his life
depended on it?
I couldn’t
believe my ears.
First, these
invigilators knew what they were doing is wrong. They were old enough to be my
father and mother. They studied when something like this was viewed like a
plague. They never had chances near what they are now aiding. Instead, they
worked their butt off and sweated in the exam hall, coming out with A’s. But
what did they do when their chance to continue it came? They overlooked the
good, old examination ethics.
Sure, you
could say that their salaries weren’t enough. You could say that they needed to
make ends meet. Guess what? They didn’t have to resort to aiding examination
malpractice to make it meet.
On the day
of my first paper, the supervisor and invigilator told us we were to pay a
token of N500 for maintenance fee. I swear I believed them and I’d already
devising ways to pay it up as soon as possible. Not until they were calling
numbers. They said the candidates had paid. So, they moved them to the back of
the hall. What! So the maintenance fee could get me to the back of the hall
where fountains and rivers of answers flow freely? I was enraged. I vowed I
wouldn’t pay a dime.
You see, it’s not because
they weren’t told to collect that money. It’s because of what they were doing
after they collected that money.
I swear I would have paid
up if the maintenance fee was put in good use.
I would understand that
the economy is bad.
I would accept that they
needed to make ends meet.
Although that’s also a
form of corruption, I wouldn’t accept the most damaging one they were infecting
multitudes of candidates with. They were simply saying,
“Hey, kid. We know we
didn’t cheat during our time, but that’s time naaa in the past. Time changes. This is your
own time. Enjoy the change.”
However, I
find a case study fascinating. Amongst the “cabal at the back of the hall” was
someone we live in the same compound. Yes, I know her as a somewhat egoistic
lady at home, but at the exam center, she was at the back, passionately copying
and pasting answers into her sheet whenever I looked back.
At home, you
would think she’s the most serious student on heart. She will also come out
after writing the exam that, “Hey, look, I made all my papers.”
That’s one
of our problems in Nigeria—the foundation.
First, how
would the invigilators who moved some people to the back, be able to correct or
discipline anyone cheating among the rest of the candidates? The answer is, as
you expect, no way. No friggin’ way. Instead, it would turn into a business
opportunity.
INVIGILATOR: Hey, hey, hey! What are you doing?
CANDIDATE: *hides paper* Nothing, sir.
INVIGILATOR: Don’t you dare lie to me again. Or
else, I’ll make you end your paper right now.
CANDIDATE: *realizing he’s been caught,
becomes sober*
INVIGILATOR: When we say you should pay, you
refused. Do you think you can do it on your own? When you know you cannot do it
on your own, why can’t you pay? Give me the paper.
CANDIDATE: *extends paper*
INVIGILATOR: *snatches paper and walks on*
Do you know
what just happened? I call that a Mentality Reprogramming. That candidate is being
taught that he/she can’t pass without resorting to cheating. He/she is being
taught that you can bribe your way through school and exams. He/she is being
taught that even if you don’t have money to pay, you can still bring in some
masquerade—just be smart about it and not get caught.
Tell me, when a candidate
like that becomes a senator, governor, president, or any other position of
power,
How will he/she not loot?
How will he/she not tweet
that recession is just a word?
How will he/she not point
to Mister B when being probed?
How will he/she not say
that everybody is doing the looting when he’s been programmed to believe that
everybody in the exam hall is cheating?
How will he/she take
responsibilities for failure, man up, and re-fire?
How will he/she not blame
the failure of the government on past administration?
I met a boy
on my seat writing something like “1. ABADDDDADD.” When I saw it, I was angry
and I asked him to leave immediately. He started laughing and others with him
joined in, too.
Why wouldn’t he?
What about others at the back?
What about the
one whose question paper was being exchanged for another with answers on it?
He
didn’t say anything like that, but I knew it wasn’t entirely his fault.
If some
candidates had been sent out and their papers ended abruptly after being
caught, would he even have the gut to write fake answers from the internet? If
maintenance money hadn’t taken some candidates to the back of the hall, would
he even have the gut to laugh?
The Righteous will only stand his grounds and not join the crowd.
Lets wear our thinking Cap.
Subscribe to our Email Updates to get the latest Articles in your Email instantly: Join our Email subscribers.









No comments:
Post a Comment
RULES FOR COMMENTERS: - 11/30/2018
1) Its good to say your mind about what you have read. Please do make ethical comment(s).
2) COMMENTS WITH UNACCEPTABLE LINKS (URLs) WILL BE DELETED IMMEDIATELY BY THE COMMENT MODERATOR.
If you won't abide by the rules please do not comment.
Thanks.